A variety of program materials were created to help raise awareness about the importance of preventing infections in cancer patients. In addition, a wide range of expert resources was used to develop this program, including relevant Web sites, medical journals, and guidelines.
To help raise awareness about the importance of preventing infections in cancer patients, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) created the following materials.
Many of the materials listed below may be downloaded, viewed, copied, and distributed without alteration. The materials with an asterisk (*) beside them are available to order free of charge. Click here to order free copies of many of these materials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (publication numbers 22-1025--22-1028)
FOR PATIENTS AND CAREGIVERS
- For more information about this program, please visit http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/preventinfections/patients.htm
FOR HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS
There are a number of ways to use the current Preventing Infections in Cancer Patients resources. The fact sheets and brochure are intended to be handed out to patients and caregivers. Some other examples include distribution of brochures at health fairs, displaying posters in patient waiting areas and/or healthcare staff lounges, and linking your facilities' Web site to these resources.
Policies and Procedures:
- BasicControl and Prevention Plan for Outpatient Oncology Settings *
- My Pocket Guide: A quick guide to CDC’s BasicControl and Prevention Plan for Outpatient Oncology Settings*
- CDC Medscape Commentary: Protect Outpatient Oncology Patients from Infections by Alice Guh, MD, MPH
- CDC Medscape Commentary: New Tool to Prevent Infections During by Lisa Richardson, MD, MPH
- Roundtable Discussion on Medscape: Strategies for ImprovingControl During Cancer Care
- CDC Safe Healthcare Blog: Protect Cancer Patients from Infections by Alice Guh, MD, MPH
- Point Is Protection: Safety First for Oncology Health Care Professionals and Our Patients by Michele Gaguski, MSN, RN, AOCN, CHPN, APN-C
- CDC’s The Topic is Cancer Blog: CDC Helps “Shoot for the Moon” by Lisa Richardson, MD, MPH
- Click here to view the buttons and copy and paste the code to embed in your Web site as an additional resource for your patients or professional members.
- For more information about this program, please visit CDC's web site.
- New! Free Continuing Education (CE) Webinar from CDC: Safe Injections in the Outpatient Oncology Setting: Protecting Your Patients and Your Practice WD2720. Follow the instructions from there. (Scroll down to Past Webinars to find this webinar)